Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter-Final Draft

When it comes to Holidays people seem to have no problem celebrating them no matter what religion they are. As Easter Sunday came and went, I decided it was time to ask my own mother about the concept of Easter and the ideas behind religion. For my family, being Catholic, I never branched off into exploring the ideas and concepts behind other religions. You forget sometimes that people don’t view the world the same way as you.
Easter Sunday represents the foundational claim of Christian faith, the highest day of the Christian year as celebration of Jesus' resurrection. But many Christians are unsure what the claim that Jesus had been raised to new life after being crucified actually means—while non-Christians often find the whole idea of resurrection bemusing and even ridiculous.
Yet how can people not find the Easter holiday ridiculous. Where on earth did the idea of a Bunny delivering eggs come from?? Chickens lay eggs not bunnies. Yet like most holidays, some happy go lucky character delivers presents to the children of the earth and they wake up to find colored eggs hidden around there home. Along with those beautiful eggs are chocolate bunnies, peeps, and other crazy assortments. So like I said before how can it not be considered ridiculous?
I will admit, this Easter, once again, my mother woke me up and told me the Easter bunny had come to our house. I really did wonder how much longer I could get her to do that. I looked around the house, found my eggs, and ate the breakfast she made for me. Yet as I sat and talked with my parents I realized that all my life that was how it had been. Easter consisted of candy. Growing up no one ever sat down and explained the concept behind Easter, so like me, thousands of other children woke up Easter morning and went searching. Not for the truth but for eggs. I wonder if they too will one day question the fundamentals of Easter and the world like I have so many times over.

No comments:

Post a Comment